Opening

On July 15, 2017 a team of 12 missionaries from Elevate Church in Monroe Michigan will travel to Choluteca, Honduras to work with the Gran Comision Church to provide a medical clinic and share the Gospel. The team will share our experiences and how God is changing our lives and impacting the people of Choluteca on this blog.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Day 3 in Limon

Yesterday we went to Limon. We toured around the facilities in the morning, ate lunch, then went back for half a days work. We set up shop in the nutrition center. This was built by the church to help - and save lives of - children suffering from severe malnutrition. Some of the stories are heartbreaking, some encouraging, but all are motivational. The workers there have basically committed their whole lives to these children. They saw a need, asked God what they needed to do, and most importantly: they did it. 

They explained how a majority of the children come from single family homes, abusive situations, or some were even abandoned. Then this morning, in my nice air conditioned room, I opened mail from my family. For some reason I teared up right away. Even without coming here, I am extremely grateful for my family. I was blessed to grow up in a home where both parents were not only there, they loved us unconditionally, brought us up in the love of Christ and set amazing examples for my sister and I. I can't imagine what the parents go through here. We of course think first of the children and their needs and that is so important...but this morning the parents were on my mind. I can't imagine being a parent and loving your child the way my parents love me and not being able to feed, care for or clothe them properly. 

At the end of the day we are all children of God. Some accept it, some don't. But we, as born-again Christians, are commanded to be the hands and feet of Christ on this earth. We are called to clothe the naked, feed the hungry, care for the sick and love everyone the way God loves us. His grace was extended to us, and we are to pay that forward.

This morning I pray peace on those parents and grandparents who are taking care of these children in the best way that they can. I pray opportunities arise (like getting help from our team) and I pray wisdom and peace on them. 

Blessings!
Em

“Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter— when you see the naked, to clothe them, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood? Then your light will break forth like the dawn, and your healing will quickly appear; then your righteousness will go before you, and the glory of the LORD will be your rear guard. Then you will call, and the LORD will answer; you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I. “If you do away with the yoke of oppression, with the pointing finger and malicious talk, and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday. The LORD will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail.”

Isaiah 58:7-11 

1 comment: